Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A campus sign that wasn't spellbound

Talk about a name change for Akron U., as I did yesterday:  I've now been made aware that the idea could be infectious in other places on the campus. A Grumpy Abe reader tells me that an electronic sign at E. J. Thomas Hall alerted the public that Neil deGrasse Tyson will be  the featured speaker there on May 6. However, it referred to the astrophysicist as  "Neil Tyson Degrassi"!

When my source called somebody  at the U to correct it, the name that turned up the next day was OK.  But then the following morning, it appeared again as "Neil Tyson  Degrassi'.

That's hardly the way to promote a famous guest scientist.  The source  also wondered about  something  else:

"What concerns me,"  he said, " is that out of the 5,000 people that pass that sign every day, I'm the only one to notice or complain."

Although I had recommended Harvard West University for the school's new name,  I may have to reconsider using the Ivy League academic giant's name in vain.





No comments: